The parish of Nadur is celebrating its 330 th. birthday today.
Established on the 28 April, 1688.
People lived on the Hill of the Rising Sun for thousands of years, even before when the Maltese islands were part of a huge continent. From the very beginning, as Baron Kelinu Vella Haber put it in his beloved poem Nadurjana. It is believed that big people lived in the vicinity of St. Blas at ” Ta’ Imsaqqfin”. well before St. Paul shipwrecked in Malta and the locals became Christians.
When people were less afraid to sleep outside the walls of the only fortress on the islands of Gozo, in Rabat, the people started to settle on the hill of Ta’ Nadur at Ta’ Hida. As the population grew and the Matrix church was three miles away, the people living on the east of Gozo, requested the church authorities to erect a parish near their homes. When bishop Palmieri made a pastoral visit to the island of Gozo, in 1687, he heard their request. On April 28, 1688, the east of the island, was erected parish dedicated to the Apostles Saints Peter and Paul.
The chapel of the Immaculate Conception of Qala was to serve as a provisionary parish church, till a new church was built on the hill of Ta’ Nadur. The new parish in the east of Gozo, consisted of the villages of Nadur, Qala, Ghajnsielem and the island of Comino. It was the largest parish in Gozo, almost one third of the island. Bishop David Palmieri in declaration, ordered that a new parish church to be built on the hill of Ta’ Nadur Grand Master Carafa of the Order of St. John Hospitalers gave some of his land for the church to be built. The new church was built in fifteen years. The village of Ta’ Nadur soon became known as Nadur, which means an area of land high above the rest NAY duhr, where one can watch for a possible attack by the enemy. In those times Nadur served as a watch tower where people were placed as guards. The tower of Ta’ Sopu, near San Blas was built by the Universita of Gozo in 1667 to keep vigilant on the east of the island.